Thursday, November 18, 2004

You Just Gotta Love Molly Ivins!

A colleague beat me to the punch the other day, tacking the latest Molly Ivins article to the bulletin board in the copier room at school. Molly has a way with metaphors, check out A Rotting Dead Chicken. I was in tears I was laughing so hard.

For some reason though, I think Molly may be too optimistic about the American public's learning curve. Of course George Will would say that my comment was exactly what he was referring to in his recent piece, Validation by Defeat:

"As the American public has become more educated, American intellectuals have become more disparaging of the public's intellectual incapacities and moral shortcomings. In 1940, more than half of the U.S. population had only an eighth-grade education, or less. Now that 85 percent are high-school graduates, 53 percent have some college education and 27 percent are college graduates, it is an article of faith among the progressive intelligentsia that the public is becoming increasingly obtuse, bigoted and superstitious."

Yep, that's how I see the majority of Americans, though I would also add "apathetic" to the list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home